Champurrado - Mexican Chocolate Atole Delight
Champurrado is a Chocolate Drink famous in Mexico. Atole is nothing but a cornstarch based drink. Chilled and servedUsually served warm (although I prefer it chilled)with a plate of Polvorenes con Canela would be a complete bliss.
I love this combo and so would you when you try this one. A v simple recipe which hardly takes any time and this along with the cookies can be simultaneously made and be done with in matter of 20-30min.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp Masa Harina Flour ( remember Tortillas ? )
- 2-3 squares of Mexican Chocolate ( or go for dark dutch types )
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp piloncillo ( available in Mexican Stores - or simply use dark brown sugar)
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder or 1 Canela (Mexican cinnamon stick)
Mix the masa harina and cornstarch and add some water - abt 2-3 tbsp and mix well till lump free and well combines along with salt.
In a pan, heat the milk and water combined and when warm, add the chocolate and sugar and keep stirring till all the chocolate is melted and sugar combined.
Now add the flour mixture along with vanilla and cinnamon powder (if using) and keep stirring till it starts to thicken and get glossy. Usually masa harina flour takes a while to thicken unlike the usual flour mixture..so give it 10min.
Chill and serve with Canela..This is a heavenly drink and you can increase/decrease the chocolate/brown sugar mixture as per your taste. I reduced both considerably since I dont prefer anything too sweet. Njoy!
- Roasted Pumpkin Pie with Chocolate Crust
- Cauliflower Fried "Rice"
- Paneer Moong Kathi Roll (Falka Roti)
- Ribbon (Pakoda) Murukku
- Haluski (Hungarian Cabbage w/ Egg Noodles)
- Methi Pulao (Fenugreek Leaves Pilaf)
- Arisi Murukku ( Rice Flour Butter Chakli)
- Turmeric and Peppercorn Rice
- Indian Keema Sloppy Joes (w/ Seitan)
- Eggless Chocolate Icecream
Have a favorite recipe?
- Know a family recipe your mom used to make? Or maybe a go to recipe that works everytime? Share it with your fellow foodies!