The minute I say cream cheese one would probably think of cheesecake, a few others ( ppl like me!) of that heavenly bite of bagel and cream cheese traveling down the throat! Bliss! I am not a cheesecake lover. Period. But I have met v v few who don't like cheesecake. I have been quite curious about the making of the same for a while and it would be a request to all the calorie conscious to stop reading this very moment and go grab an apple or something! :) yes it sure is heavy..probably you can excuse yourself for that one bite saying that it sure is high in protein ;-)
This is a simplest version - a total American classic!
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 stick of butter, melted
- 4 cups (!!) cream cheese, at room temperature ( that would be four 8 ounce packets)
- generous 1 1/4 cups sugar
- grated rind of 1 lemon with 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
Preheat oven to 325F. Grease an 9 inch spring foam pan. Place on a 14 inch foil and press it up to the sides to seal it tightly.2.Mix the crumbs and the butter well.
Press it into the bottom of the pan.
Beat the cream cheese until smooth.
Add the sugar, lemon rind, juice and vanilla and beat until blended.
Beat in the eggs one at a time
Pour into the prepared pan. Set the pan in a larger baking tray and place in the oven. Pour enough hot water in the outer tray to come to 1 inch up the sides of the pan.
Bake until the top is golden brown ( approx 1 - 1 1/2 hrs)9.Cool it in the spring foam pan and then slowly remove the bottom. Refrigerate for close to 1-2 hrs before serving.
You can dust it with powdered sugar (optional),
- Ribbon (Pakoda) Murukku
- Haluski (Hungarian Cabbage w/ Egg Noodles)
- Methi Pulao (Fenugreek Leaves Pilaf)
- Arisi Murukku ( Rice Flour Butter Chakli)
- Turmeric and Peppercorn Rice
- Indian Keema Sloppy Joes (w/ Seitan)
- Eggless Chocolate Icecream
- Cherry Coconut Lemonade
- Eggless Vanilla Icecream
- Mexican Fajitas w/ Seitan
Have a favorite recipe?
- Know a family recipe your mom used to make? Or maybe a go to recipe that works everytime? Share it with your fellow foodies!