Thakali/tomato kuzhambu - with coconut
Thakali / tomato kuzhambu is always my all time favorite recipe. It is very simple to make & yet delicious. This thakkali kuzhambhu is a unique recipe which is made without tamarind and almost tastes like a tomato thokku flavoured with coconut. It is so delicious & it is rich in coconut milk.
Though this kuzhambu is served along with rice in general you can also serve this as a side dish for idli or dosas. The tangy taste of the tomatoes and the heat from the spices will be a treat to your senses.
- Tomato - 2medium size
- Onion - 1
- Sambar powder - 1&1/2tsp
- Green chillies - 5
- Coconut milk powder - 3tsp +1tsp
- Salt - as per your taste
- To temper:
- Oil - 2tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2tsp
- Curry leaves - few
1. Boil enough water in a pan & when it boils, add the tomatoes & boil it for 1minute.
2. Allow it to cool down completely & remove the skin of the tomatoes.
3. Squeeze & mash the tomatoes well with your hands & finely chop the onions & slit the green chillies.
4. Take 1tsp of coconut milk powder & add 1/3cup of water & make thin coconut milk. Likewise, take 3tsp of coconut milk powder & add 3tsp of water & make thick coconut milk. Keep this aside.
5. Heat oil in a pan & temper the ingredients that are listed under "to temper" table.
6. Add the finely chopped onions,green chillies & curry leaves. Saute them until translucent.
7. Now add the mashed tomatoes, thin coconut milk,salt & sambar powder. Boil this in medium flame for 5-7min.
8. Add the thick coconut milk & boil them until oil seperates.
I have used coconut milk powder. You can use fresh coconut milk also.
Use ripe tomatoes for making this kuzhambu.
You can replace sambar powder with red chilli powder & corainder powder.
Onions can be replaced with shallots also.
Have a favorite recipe?
- Know a family recipe your mom used to make? Or maybe a go to recipe that works everytime? Share it with your fellow foodies!