Cinnamon and Walnut Coffee Cake
I met a friend recently and she asked me for Cake baking tips - When I gave her (what I thought was most important one!) she laughed at me. What did I say? I said you have to cool the cake completely! Awe comeon - don't smirk! Most of my disasters in cake making has been lack of this process. I have this Cinnamon Walnut Coffee Cake which was the last cake I made during my Basic-Cake-Baking-Tips illiterate days.
After that, every cake I have made has been worth all the effort and I still am not what you could call as an expert Cake baker.I forgot to cool the cake completely and in a hurry removed - the bottom got stuck and also the crumb which supposedly is the most tenderest of all, came out heavy. The next time I made the cake keeping my mistakes in mind, it was heavenly. Hope you don't make the mistakes I did in order to enjoy this cake in its full favor. This recipe is verbatim from Taste of Home booklet.
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- For the Topping
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp cold butter
- 1-1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Southwest Quinoa Salad
- Hushpuppy (Cornbread Fritters)
- Methi Dal (Fenugreek Leaves Dal)
- Coriander (Cilantro) Peanut Chutney
- Chow Chow (Chayote Squash) Curry
- Methi Roti (Fenugreek Flatbread)
- Hummus bi Tahini (Chickpea Hummus with Tahini)
- Vegetable Fried Rice (Indo Chinese)
- Cinnamon Chocolate Brownies
- Roasted Chickpeas with Indian spices
Have a favorite recipe?
- Know a family recipe your mom used to make? Or maybe a go to recipe that works everytime? Share it with your fellow foodies!