Rugbrød ( Danish Rye Bread )
The next in line of my RSVP series is - Rye. The minute you think Rye, the first thing that pops into one's mind is the Rye Bread - so famous in Europe,Russia and Scandinavia. Its a popular crop in the areas with colder climates since it is such a hardy grain.
Rye flour has a lower gluten content and contains higher proportion of soluble fiber.
Benefits of Rye
- It is a good source of Vit E,Protein,Calcium,Iron,Phosphorous,potassium and some B vitamins.
- It is also high in fiber and is used as a nature's medicine for strengthening the digestive system.
For more information on Rye refer here I have this recipe - Danish Rye Bread which is a dark,dense and dry loaf.
This most importantly keeps well for a while.So leftovers are not a problem :)It is very good for sandwiches and we liked it with our soup too.No butter,No shortening,No egg,incorporating just health and taste!
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1/2 cup bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 envelop of fast rising dried yeast
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
Combine the flours in a bowl along with salt and yeast.Keep 1 tsp of Caraway side for topping and add rest with the flour. Mix well.
Make a well in the center and then add the water along with molasses and oil. Gradually incorporate the flour,adding water if necc. to make a soft dough. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 5 min until smooth and elastic.
Shape it into a loaf,flatten lightly and place it on a greased baking sheet.Brush it with water and sprinkle the caraway seeds. Cover and let it stand in a warm place till doubled in size.
Preheat the Oven 425F. Place the loaf in the oven for 30min or until its browned and tapping the bottom lets out a hollow sound.
- Methi Pulao (Fenugreek Leaves Pilaf)
- Arisi Murukku ( Rice Flour Butter Chakli)
- Turmeric and Peppercorn Rice
- Indian Keema Sloppy Joes (w/ Seitan)
- Eggless Chocolate Icecream
- Cherry Coconut Lemonade
- Eggless Vanilla Icecream
- Mexican Fajitas w/ Seitan
- Watermelon Breeze (w/ Coconut Water)
- Wacky Cake (Vegan Chocolate Cake)
Have a favorite recipe?
- Know a family recipe your mom used to make? Or maybe a go to recipe that works everytime? Share it with your fellow foodies!