Mushroom Nut Roast
I luv Brazil Nuts; they are totally infectious, since its hard to stop at one, but then thats not really good since they are high on fat!(sigh!)But then the proverb 'Too much of a good thing, is just as bad' was not said in passing! It does make sense. But being vegetarians, once in a while splurge into its heavenly taste does not harm one - hence the post for today with yummy 'Mushroom Nut Roast' which i adapted from some recipe in the internet.In that they had also added almonds but I dint totally want to go nuts over my weight the next day! So skipped that alone :)
This is sinfully rich dish, so dont blame me if you get addicted. Very easy and simple and a rare treat.
- 3 Portobello Mushrooms,chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts
- 1 cup Brazil nuts
- 1/2 cup cheddar,grated
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup milk ( or replace it with egg)
- 2-3 tbsp Chives,chopped
- 1 cup bread crumbs ( Italina style crumbs with herbs and spices adds more taste)
Note : Usually the salt in cheddar and Parmesan is enough for this dish. But those with typical Indian taste buds may feel need for more salt. So add in some salt. We prefer v minimal salt in our food so, I have skipped the salt.
In a non stick pan, add little Olive oil and saute the onions and mushrooms till soft. Set aside.
Chop the nuts into small pieces.
Mix the nuts, mushroom mixture and mix well.
Then add the cheese, bread crumbs, chives, egg/milk and combine well.
Grease the baking dish, line it with some baking paper, grease the paper and then press the mixture into the tin.
Bake till firm about 45-60min at 400F. Leave for 5 min, then turn it out into a plate. Cut them into slices and garnish. Goes v well with tomato sauce/Ketchup.
- Fried Macaroni and Cheese balls (using leftovers)
- Mixed Bell Pepper Mac and Cheese
- Vegetable Dosa Waffles
- Coconut Chutney (for Idli, Dosa)
- Roasted Broccoli with Garlic and Lemon
- Eggless Vanilla Sponge (Layer) Cake
- Panchratna Dal with Radish Greens
- Roasted Jalapeno Soup
- Spongy Eggless Pancakes
- Desi Ghee (Indian Clarified Butter)
Have a favorite recipe?
- Know a family recipe your mom used to make? Or maybe a go to recipe that works everytime? Share it with your fellow foodies!