Plum and Pecan Bread
By DK on Jun 25, 2009
I know what you just thought -"Whats with this girl and plums!" I agree you have every right to ask this question seeing that I have been going on and on about Plums in this month. But then hey, I have valid reasons. I know that I was all excited about those plums in my backyard but I forgot one vital thing in the midst of traveling down the memory lane and the like....See the pics below to know what my problem is.
Yes LOTS OF PLUMS! The only thing that is left for me to do is to pick them in a basket and open a stall at the local Farmer's market! I certainly dint bargain for this!:) Anyways not one to complain, I use them often now in my diet and hence don't be surprised if you see plums more and more in this space for a while. And hey! You have to make your friends happy and so when Mansi specifically asked for it, I had to do it and that too pronto since the deadline for SHF: Fruits and Nuts is today and the pictures are fresh from the oven! The original recipe has butter, eggs, refined sugar and not so much plums and nuts. I rectified all that in this recipe where there is no butter, no eggs, used less refined Demerara sugar, lots of plums and lots of pecans! You can substitute walnuts for pecans. Healthy, fruity and nutty - doesn't get better than this.
Prep Time: 30 min to 1 hour
Cook Time: 30 min to 1 hour
Yield: Makes one 9X5 inch loaf
- 1/2 cup Demerara sugar
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- zest of one lemon
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or all purpose)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups chopped and pitted fresh plums (Note: If your plums are ripe with lots of moisture in them, then reduce it to 1 cup. Use 1-1/2 cups for firmer plums)
- 1 tbsp Demerara sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
In a bowl, mix sugars, vegetable oil and lemon zest.
In another bowl combine the flour, baking soda and salt
Now slowly combine the flour into the sugar mixture alternating with buttermilk until smooth
Add the plums and stir well.
Pour it out into a greased loaf pan
Sprinkle with the topping
and bake in 350F oven for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
Cool for about 10min before removing from the pan. Cool completely on a wire rack, slice and enjoy
1 member has made this recipe!
Did you make this recipe?
Please click below to share your experiences while you were making this recipe. Thanks for your input!
- Spinach and Cheese Lasagna Rolls
- Roasted Pumpkin Pie with Chocolate Crust
- Cauliflower Fried "Rice"
- Paneer Moong Kathi Roll (Falka Roti)
- Ribbon (Pakoda) Murukku
- Haluski (Hungarian Cabbage w/ Egg Noodles)
- Methi Pulao (Fenugreek Leaves Pilaf)
- Arisi Murukku ( Rice Flour Butter Chakli)
- Turmeric and Peppercorn Rice
- Indian Keema Sloppy Joes (w/ Seitan)
Have a favorite recipe?
- Know a family recipe your mom used to make? Or maybe a go to recipe that works everytime? Share it with your fellow foodies!