Low Sugar Banana Muffins
This is a great breakfast/snack to have - if you dieting, have diabetes, egg allergies / egg dislike or simply when you need to try something nutritional for a differance :) Have you ever tried Demerara Sugar? It is available in the health stores and is nutritionally superior and fewer in calories.
I use that often enough and is little milder tasting than regular refined sugar. I use that in this recipe, if not available use brown sugar instead. The qty is less enough not to affect your "low sugar" needs. Instead of using all-purpose flour for the whole muffin, I have substituted whole wheat. The sweetness for the muffins comes from the sugar,banana and applesauce
- 1/4 cup All Purpose flour
- 1 cup Whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch fo salt
- 1/4 tsp each of nutmeg,cinnamon and all spice powders
- 3-4 tbsp Demerara Sugar ( or brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening,melted
- 1/4 cup of applesauce
- 2/3 cup milk
- zest of 1 Orange (try lemons instead)
- 1 large ripe banana,pureed
- 1/2 cup mixed chopped walnuts and rolled oats for topping
Add the sifted flours together along with salt,baking powder and spices along with the sugar.
In a seperate bowl, mix the shortening, applesauce, milk and the zest.
Gently fold the dry ingredients with the wet and then stir in the pureed banana. Stir softly until well incorporated.
In a lines muffin pan,spoon this mixture until 3/4th full and top it off with the oat-nut mixture.
Bake for 15-20min in a preheated 400F oven. The muffins are done when a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Cool them in a rack for 5-10min before serving. Serve warm.
- Spinach and Cheese Lasagna Rolls
- Roasted Pumpkin Pie with Chocolate Crust
- Cauliflower Fried "Rice"
- Paneer Moong Kathi Roll (Falka Roti)
- Ribbon (Pakoda) Murukku
- Haluski (Hungarian Cabbage w/ Egg Noodles)
- Methi Pulao (Fenugreek Leaves Pilaf)
- Arisi Murukku ( Rice Flour Butter Chakli)
- Turmeric and Peppercorn Rice
- Indian Keema Sloppy Joes (w/ Seitan)
Have a favorite recipe?
- Know a family recipe your mom used to make? Or maybe a go to recipe that works everytime? Share it with your fellow foodies!