Egg-in-the-hole goes by many names – “Egg in the basket”, “hen in a nest”, “one-eyed monster breakfast” ,”toad in the hole” etc.etc. Call it by any name – the end result makes a beautiful and attractive presentation. There is this story for how I came by this recipe. I was newly married and one fine morning after the usual breakfast of idli’s – u know the typical south Indian breakfast – for many mornings past, my DH popped the sudden discussion about the importance of Protein and it is essential (blah blah and more blahs) ! I was like ‘oook,so?”. He asked me if I could make egg for him in the mornings. I hate eggs and promptly told him so. He was like ‘its ok’ and left it..but I felt bad and checked out online for recipes and made him Omelette one morning..he was v moved at my effort and I was so happy that I kept making him that recipe ever after!!! – until I got bored!.
So one of those peppy morning, I tried to be creative and came up with this recipe. He loved it. About a month after my ‘invention’ , i was surfing channels and suddenly i saw this channel ( i don’t remember which ) where a woman was making eggs just this way calling it the famous American comfort food! I dint know whether to be happy or sad. Sad because, it sure was not unique and perfectly not my invention [discovery more like it] or happy that I had a TV show creativity :)
This is a v.v.v.v.v simple recipe and that which takes hardly any effort at all. Here goes
- 1 egg
- 1 bread slice
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Southwest Quinoa Salad
- Hushpuppy (Cornbread Fritters)
- Methi Dal (Fenugreek Leaves Dal)
- Coriander (Cilantro) Peanut Chutney
- Chow Chow (Chayote Squash) Curry
- Methi Roti (Fenugreek Flatbread)
- Hummus bi Tahini (Chickpea Hummus with Tahini)
- Vegetable Fried Rice (Indo Chinese)
- Cinnamon Chocolate Brownies
- Roasted Chickpeas with Indian spices
Have a favorite recipe?
- Know a family recipe your mom used to make? Or maybe a go to recipe that works everytime? Share it with your fellow foodies!