Brown Rice Patties
I make it a point to keep the word 'leftovers' in my house rare. The importance of freshness plays a huge role, thanks esp to super conscious inhabitants ( I am not finicky to that extent though!)of my house. That being the case, what do I do when I do have some leftovers? Till date I have been lucky that it has been mostly cooked rice that has been leftover and I end up making something or the other with it.
Last night I had some leftover brown rice! Was wondering what to do when I came up with Brown Rice Patties. They are nutritious and tasty. If you are not a fan of brown rice and always found excuses to not eat it, then start off the effort with this recipe. You will soon want to incorporate it slowly in your diet too :)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cooked chickpeas ( or you can use canned ones. Saves time)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp cashews
- 1 tsp coriander-cumin powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1-2 green chillies
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg ( optional)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- Cilantro - about 1/2 -1 cup
- salt to taste
Heat a tsp of oil in a pan and saute the onions and garlic till soft. Add the spices, cook for 2 more minutes and then add the chickpeas to it. Cook for another 2-3 min and then grind it along with salt, cashews and cilantro.
Mix the brown rice, the chickpeas mixture, carrot,the lemon juice, salt and the breadcrumbs along with egg if using.
Refrigerate for 20-30min and then form patties of the mixture and cook them in a non stick pan with little oil.
Note : You can deep fry, shallow fry or simply bake them. Baking takes longer and the result is little crunchier than the rest. Remember to drizzle some oil on top of the patties before baking them.Turn the other side when done. Repeat in batches and cook till it turns brown.
- Spinach and Cheese Lasagna Rolls
- Roasted Pumpkin Pie with Chocolate Crust
- Cauliflower Fried "Rice"
- Paneer Moong Kathi Roll (Falka Roti)
- Ribbon (Pakoda) Murukku
- Haluski (Hungarian Cabbage w/ Egg Noodles)
- Methi Pulao (Fenugreek Leaves Pilaf)
- Arisi Murukku ( Rice Flour Butter Chakli)
- Turmeric and Peppercorn Rice
- Indian Keema Sloppy Joes (w/ Seitan)
Have a favorite recipe?
- Know a family recipe your mom used to make? Or maybe a go to recipe that works everytime? Share it with your fellow foodies!