One thing that every south Indian would swear by is Adai. It is a type of Dosa, like a crêpe but only little thicker. It is made using a combination of rice and lentils. The type of lentils, amount varies from house to house - but what remains is that the taste of any version is amazing, filling and nutritious. Being heavily dependent on legumes for our diet, this Adai bespeaks of that lentil need. Since they are heavy on protein and are made little thicker, they fill one up faster and you could get full, say with 1-2 Adai's!!!
They go well with many side dishes - be it Chutney's or the classic Avial.The prep time is not much either. I don't have any standard recipe nor does my mom. We change and eyeball ingredients but Adai is one of those easily forgiving dishes - any variation work. The one below is one I use, to incorporate more lentils in our diet. If you have diabetes or cholesterol, just skip the coconut and you are good to go :)
- 2/3 cup plain short grained rice
- 1/3 cup par boiled rice
- 1 cup pigeon peas ( toor dal)
- 1/2 cup bengal gram dal (channa dal)
- 1/2 cup whole black lentils,deskinned (urad dal)
- 1/4 cup yellow lentils (moong dal)
- 4-5 dried red chillies (or as per taste)
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- salt to taste ( start with say, 1/2 tsp and then adjust accordingly)
- 1/2 cup grated coconut (optional)
- handful of curry leaves
Clean the rice and lentils with cold water and then soak them together along with red chillies for 2-3 hours until most of the water is soaked up by the lentils and they look softer.
- Mixed Bell Pepper Mac and Cheese
- Vegetable Dosa Waffles
- Coconut Chutney (for Idli, Dosa)
- Roasted Broccoli with Garlic and Lemon
- Eggless Vanilla Sponge (Layer) Cake
- Panchratna Dal with Radish Greens
- Roasted Jalapeno Soup
- Spongy Eggless Pancakes
- Desi Ghee (Indian Clarified Butter)
- Hoppin' John (American Black Eyed Peas and Rice)
Have a favorite recipe?
- Know a family recipe your mom used to make? Or maybe a go to recipe that works everytime? Share it with your fellow foodies!