Is it raining outside? Then you got to make this dish to get the sunshine within you :) no kidding :) If you know about Aloo Bonda, then you should feel comfortable with Batata Vada, the difference though is that, the latter uses garlic as one of the main ingredients.Technically, I feel it is more a Bonda than Vada :) Batata (Potato)Vada (fritters)is a Maharashtrian delight. I associate this to something like Falafel. Just as how Falafel forms a part, but yet good enough as stand alone, of Pita bread, so is Batata Vada.
It is eaten enclosed within what it is called as "Pav" which is nothing but bun, yet the Vada by itself is delicious enough to be eaten all by itself.Suppose guests come all of a sudden or at v short notice, then this is one dish, I rely on to be a hit without any effort. This is much better than rushing those 10 minutes to your nearby shops to get something. There is hardly any work involved, most of it done by the burner :)
- 2 potatoes,boiled
- 3-4 garlic cloves,minced
- 1-2 green chillies (or as per taste)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (optional)
- few sprigs of curry leaves and cilantro
- salt to taste
- For the batter
- About1-1/2 cups of gram flour
- pinch of Baking Soda
- little salt to taste ( take care since the filling has some salt too)
- 1/4 tsp of chilli powder (as per taste)
Have a favorite recipe?
- Know a family recipe your mom used to make? Or maybe a go to recipe that works everytime? Share it with your fellow foodies!