Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (pepitas)
- 3 cups of Pumpkin seeds ( at least that's the qty I got from my pumpkin)
- approx 1/2 tbsp to 1 tbsp butter/vegetable oil ( I used 2 tsp of vegetable oil - it still came out pretty good!)
- salt to taste ( some recipes use 1 tbsp for 2 cups of seeds - use your discretion)
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. Garam Masala
- 1/4 tsp. red chilli powder
- Garlic salt and vegetable oil
- Garlic Powder - use it if you want salt free seeds. You can add this right when comes out of oven and warm.
- Vegetarian Parmesan
- Curry Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper
- Any seasoning salt
- Cajun spice mix
- Italian dried herb mix
- for a sweet spiced pumpkin seeds - roast them with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, a bit of chili and a bit of salt. (Thanks Laurie)
There are two ways of doing this roasting process.
Bring about 5 cups of water to a rolling boil. Add the salt and then the seeds and boil for about 10 minutes. Drain and dry in paper towels. Or if you have the time, you can air dry which takes at least 1-2 hours (depending on the weather and number of seeds). Follow the Method 2 from here on.
Instead of boiling, simply dry the seeds with paper towels. ( or as mentioned previous air dry for 1-2 hours )
Bake in a preheated 250F oven for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown color. Don't forget to stir them once in a while in the middle of roasting in the oven.
Storing Pumpkin Seeds
Roasted Pumpkin seeds will keep well in an air tight container ( to retain the crunch) for 2-3 days max. If you want to extend its shelf life then pack it in a zip lock bag (use double bags - works better sometimes) and refrigerate. This lasts for a week and for anything longer than that, freezing is the best option.
- Thakkali Sadam (Tomato Rice Bath)
- Arisi Upma (Rice Rava Upma)
- Paruppu Vadai (Karthigai Vadai)
- Pasi Paruppu Payasam (Moong dal Kheer)
- Capsicum Cheese Paratha
- Carrot Beans Poriyal (stir fry)
- Kadalai Paruppu Sundal (Bengal Gram Salad)
- Frozen Banana Bites with Chocolate
- Grilled Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich
- Fresh Strawberry Galette
Have a favorite recipe?
- Know a family recipe your mom used to make? Or maybe a go to recipe that works everytime? Share it with your fellow foodies!