Raitas are always handy. It goes well with both rice varieties & parathas. The midly flavor of the boondi combined with yoghurt makes for a lovely combination. It is one of the most traditional North Indian raitas.
I had left over boondi lying in my pantry for a long time. Boondi raita & accompanied with mint pulav delicious....
- Kara boondi(Halidarams) - 1/2 cup
- Yoghurt - 1/2 cup
- Roasted cumin powder - 1/2tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - as per your taste
- Corainder leaves - 1tsp(optional)
- To temper:
- Oil - 1/2tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2tsp
Whisk yoghurt & add water if required. Add all other ingredients to the whisked yoghurt & give a quick stir.
Temper it if required. Garnish with red chilli powder.
You can also soak the boondi for a while & then add it the whisked yoghurt. It removes the excess oil from the boondi.
Serve immediately after mixing the boondi else the texture of the boondi becomes soggy.
Adding roasted cumin powder gives nice flavor to the recipe. But it is purely optional. Chat masala can also be added.
Have a favorite recipe?
- Know a family recipe your mom used to make? Or maybe a go to recipe that works everytime? Share it with your fellow foodies!