Plum Preserves with Raisins
By DK on Jul 22, 2009
I had abundant Plums thanks to our landlord's hard work. I was of the opinion that I could be a gardener easily - I mean how hard can it be to grow couple of plants right! Guess I was wrong! The number of calculations, rotations, soil types, placement of plants etc that our landlord takes care of threw my dream haywire! I did learn a bunch of gardening skills from him though - and on top of it what more we get to reap his efforts!!!
I was quite busy trying out various recipes with plums and what better way to use a bunch of fruits than to make preserves. I already made Plum Jam the first thing when the season started, hence I thought I will try something else this time since my jam got over a long way back! I am not able to recall exactly from where I adapted the recipe from, but this one is good. I know I made a bunch of changes - the original one used LOTS of sugar which I cut by half. I used more citrusy flavors and this preserve uses raisins which was what caught my fancy - try it, you will like it too.
Prep Time: 30 min to 1 hour
Cook Time: 30 min to 1 hour
Yield: About 2 quarts worth of jam
- about 4 pounds of plums
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- zest of one orange and lemon
- handful of raisins
Discard the pits of the plums and chop them coarsely
Bring sugar, orange, lemon juice along with the zest to a boil
Reduce the heat and then add the raisins, honey and plums.
Keep simmering and stirring once in a while
until it starts thickening up
It takes approx 45min-1 hour. Follow the canning process as in this post and store the preserve.
I served it with some warm oatmeal scones.
Be the first to showcase this recipe!
Did you make this recipe?
Please click below to share your experiences while you were making this recipe. Thanks for your input!
- Southwest Quinoa Salad
- Hushpuppy (Cornbread Fritters)
- Methi Dal (Fenugreek Leaves Dal)
- Coriander (Cilantro) Peanut Chutney
- Chow Chow (Chayote Squash) Curry
- Methi Roti (Fenugreek Flatbread)
- Hummus bi Tahini (Chickpea Hummus with Tahini)
- Vegetable Fried Rice (Indo Chinese)
- Cinnamon Chocolate Brownies
- Roasted Chickpeas with Indian spices
Have a favorite recipe?
- Know a family recipe your mom used to make? Or maybe a go to recipe that works everytime? Share it with your fellow foodies!