Crispy Fried Tofu with Sweet Chille Sauce
Once home, my mom had a different story to tell. She told me it was not Paneer but a similar cheese but made of Soy. She said that she never bought it cos it was bland. I opened the packet and put some right in my mouth and so did my sister. Her face mimicked my mom's with a "Blech!" expression. I ,for some "weird" reason, loved it! My love affair, loyal that I am, still stands inspite of the test of various types and flavors of Tofu that have crossed my path in all these years hence.
recipe minimally adapted from the best international recipe
- For the Tofu
- 1 (14-oz) block Mori Nu "Extra Firm" Silken Tofu (see Tips)
- 3/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Cornmeal
- Salt and ground Pepper to taste
- Chili Flakes to taste (optional)
- For the Sweet Chili Sauce
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Rice Vinegar
- 2 tsp Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Sambal Oelek (see Tips)
2. Sambal Oelek is an Indonesian Chile paste. If you cannot find it, use whatever chili paste is available to you and add as per taste. You might need less/more than the 1 tbsp depending on the type of chili paste you are using other than the one mentioned.
Slice the tofu into cubes/1-inch thick slabs. But before that make sure that drain any water and pat it dry completely.
Important Tip: I was a little slack in doing a good job and it shows the way it fried. So make sure to use several layers of paper towels and let it sit for few minutes esp. if you are using the tofu that comes with water
The crispiness when you first bite into it then leads to softness of the silken tofu. Though being a lover of tofu, I can eat them all alone, my better half preferred it with the sauce.
- Ribbon (Pakoda) Murukku
- Haluski (Hungarian Cabbage w/ Egg Noodles)
- Methi Pulao (Fenugreek Leaves Pilaf)
- Arisi Murukku ( Rice Flour Butter Chakli)
- Turmeric and Peppercorn Rice
- Indian Keema Sloppy Joes (w/ Seitan)
- Eggless Chocolate Icecream
- Cherry Coconut Lemonade
- Eggless Vanilla Icecream
- Mexican Fajitas w/ Seitan
Have a favorite recipe?
- Know a family recipe your mom used to make? Or maybe a go to recipe that works everytime? Share it with your fellow foodies!