How to make Apple Butter
recipe courtesy the essential vegetarian
- 4 pounds of Granny Smith apples peeled, seeded and sliced (or any other sweet tart variety)
- 1/3 cup fresh pressed apple juice (not from concentrate)
- 2/3 cup maple syrup (or use dark brown sugar)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and/or cloves to taste
You can use Pressure cooker, Stove top or microwave to make this. I don't normally use M/W for cooking and would have used pressure cooker. But to show you how it is made at every stage, I have used Stove top for today's post. But I would recommend pressure cooking since it traps flavors better than stove top and is more aromatic.
For Pressure Cooker Method:
I combine all the ingredients , cook for 4-5 whistles and then blend it using my blender. More whistles than that, I find that my butter becomes watery. I think you would have to experiment with your pressure cooker to get the consistency I show before blending. Soft but not watery.
For Microwave Method: While I have never used this method myself,
I am just writing down the notes added by the original author of this recipe. For M/w, reduce the apple juice to 2 tbsp. Then place all the ingredients in a m/w bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or m/w resistant plate and cook full power for 8 minutes turning the bowl 180 degrees once halfway through. Check, and if apples are not soft enough to mash with the back of a wooden spoon, repeat for another 4 minutes. test again and repeat if necc. Puree as mentioned for stove top method.
- Ribbon (Pakoda) Murukku
- Haluski (Hungarian Cabbage w/ Egg Noodles)
- Methi Pulao (Fenugreek Leaves Pilaf)
- Arisi Murukku ( Rice Flour Butter Chakli)
- Turmeric and Peppercorn Rice
- Indian Keema Sloppy Joes (w/ Seitan)
- Eggless Chocolate Icecream
- Cherry Coconut Lemonade
- Eggless Vanilla Icecream
- Mexican Fajitas w/ Seitan
Have a favorite recipe?
- Know a family recipe your mom used to make? Or maybe a go to recipe that works everytime? Share it with your fellow foodies!