Sarson Da Saag
Sarron Da Saag or Sarson ka saag is a popular curry in the Punjab region of India and Pakistan made from mustard leaves (sarson) and spices. This is typically a Punjabi dish tastes really delicious with Makki ki Roti (Indian maize flat bread) and dollops of fresh white butter) or pure desi ghee (clarified butter).
as winter season slowly entered in our life in india,just wanted to welcome it with this dish so made for lunch,as it is best served with makke di roti,which is hard to digest at night....:)
- 1 bunch mustard greens or sarson greens
- 1 bunch spinach
- 1 bunch fenugreek greens
- 1 bunch fat-hen or white goosefoot greens or bathua
- 2 red onion grated
- 1 teaspoon ginger (grated)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (grated)
- 5 green chillies (chopped)/ as per taste
- 2 tablespoon yogurt (vegans can avoid)
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon butter or ghee
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon garam masala / as per taste
- 1-1/2 tablespoon maize flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- salt to taste
- BUTTER for serving (preferably white,i didn"t find handy white butter so used yellow one)
Heat oil in a pressure cooker,add greens(thoroughly washed and chopped) , green chillies,add ginger, garlic and swat for 2 min.Add sugar and little salt and mix,add 1 cup water,pressure cook till 2 whistles.
Cool off the greens and Mash well.Heat butter or ghee in a pan, add grated onion, saute till brown,ad mashed greens and swat for 2 min.
Mix yogurt and maize flour (vegans can use water instead of yogurt)and add this paste to the greens,mix well.Simmer for few min.
Add garam masala ,mix well and put off the flame,add lemon juice,taste the seasoning (salt) and serve hot with dollops of butter with makki ki roti, or missi roti or plain paratha.
Have a favorite recipe?
- Know a family recipe your mom used to make? Or maybe a go to recipe that works everytime? Share it with your fellow foodies!