From the Archives: In the quest of clearing out my pantry, I came across a bag of whole black lentils. Commonly referred to as "Urad dal" in Hindi, these beauties are more famously used in making this dish called as Dal Makhani. I made these again recently to use the bag up among quite a few other dishes. I had to update this post with few notes on making it a Low Calorie Treat. Its very easy and this is one of those dishes which are immensely forgiving when it comes to making it literally fat free. The new pictures that I have added to this post are of this "Low Calorie" version. Can you tell the difference?:)
Also known as "Kaali Dal", "Maa Di Dal" or simply "Maa Ki Dal" - Dal Makhani by any other name would taste just as yummy and delicious. This Punjabi delicacy is another feather to Indian cuisine. Rich, creamy lentils cooked with assorted spices makes it one of the best warm and soul foods ever! Dal (lentil) Makhani (cream/butter) as the name insists is filled with calories and is a special treat. There are few variations and I have tried them all. I have finally settled down to this recipe. The secret to best Dal makhani is the number of hours one cooks the lentils.
- 1 cup whole black lentils ( whole black Urad dal )
- 1/4 cup Bengal gram
- 1/2 cup Kidney beans
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1-2 tsp green chillies, sliced thinly
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin-coriander powder
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 tsp dried Fenugreek leaves ( Kasuri Methi )
- 3 tbsp butter (or 1-2 tsp of vegetable oil)
- 2-3 cloves
- 2" cinnamon stick
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup cream ( or 2% milk or use Coconut milk to make it Vegan (thanks for the tip Kniffel)
- salt to taste and cilantro to garnish
Have a favorite recipe?
- Know a family recipe your mom used to make? Or maybe a go to recipe that works everytime? Share it with your fellow foodies!